This can only be done by filing a new patent application. The improvement can itself form the subject of the new patent application, although it is also possible (within the priority year) to include the improvement in the original application and to file the amended patent application again while invoking the priority of the earlier patent application. This second option applies for a new patent application in the country of first filing as well as for a filing outside the country of first filing.